Friday, December 12, 2008

Old Man Winter Is Knocking

I survived the first week of four thirty mornings! Two or three of those mornings the boys had 3 hour fog delays, I am not sure what days or how many because the days seem to just be running together. When they have delays they don't go to school until 11 and don't get out until 3:30 which leaves only time in the afternoon to do homework, eat dinner, feed the animals, shower and go to bed. Which is kind of nice that they don't have time to destroy the house I cleaned while they were at school but it has been hard for them not to have any outside play time. They don't get hardly any free play outside at school so when they get home they are ready to run wild, race bikes, play GI Joe, Spies, Hide and Seek and Tag. They were excited about the sunshine and no fog we had today, unfortunately we still could not go out side to play because we had two very aggressive pit bulls, who had already bitten another child and charged my friend, roaming our street.

One last thing. Old Man Winter only knocks here about every 10 years. It is that time again. It has been fairly cold, for here anyway. We don't usually get more than sweatshirt weather in these parts so I am very unequipped for anything colder than 50 degrees. We have had Christmas's when we've worn shorts and t-shirts. I don't even think anyone around here has a "winter coat" that consists of more than a heavy weight hoodie. This morning when I walked the boys to school I am not sure what temperature it was but it was pretty cold and windy. I am not complaining mind you...I like winter, it is my favorite season. It would be nice if I was prepared for it though, maybe with a coat, a fireplace not that we can use them here or maybe a car for those cold drizzly mornings. Dub has not been too thrilled about the temperatures. He is usually still asleep when it is time to go so I have to pull him out of his nice snuggley bed, throw on his socks and sweatshirt, wrap him in a blanket and bed him down in the wagon. He cries. Today I thought the tears might actually freeze to his cheeks. He also refuses to get dressed all day. He will not take his pj's off even long enough to get dressed because he doesn't want to be cold. It is suppose to be much colder this coming week, in fact they are talking about possible snow showers on the valley floor. I might just have to find me a coat somewhere.

4 comments:

All Things BD said...

We had a sleet storm the other day and the girls were over the moon that it "snowed" in Texas. I too am unequipped for the cold weather, considering I lived in California my whole life.

JR Hart said...

4 boys + fireplace = large insurance plan

Beyla said...

Aww you sweethearts!! 50 degrees cold..hahahaaha! I can promise that junior would get out of his PJ's fast as lightning if you guys were here - so he could put on something even warmer as fast as possible! We've in the dark period now, and everything is icy and freezing cold. I'm staying very close to my fireplace!! but I have to say, I'm with JR on this one ;)

The Farmer's Wife said...

Don't get me wrong I realize that these temperatures are far from cold or a real winter. It's just because we don't get much cold weather here we are not prepared even for mildly cold temperatures, none of us even owns a coat, or long sleeve shirt for that matter. I love cold, the colder, snowier, icier the happier I am. It just happens that I married someone who hates winter so we have to live where it doesn't get cold. And when it does start to get kinda of cold (which is very rare) we are not equipped for it. Does that make any sense?